Sunday, February 27, 2011

자갈치시장 Jagalchi Fish Market in Busan


My last official stop before leaving Busan was to check out the fish market in Nampo-dong, Jung-gu, Busan. The fish market is known as Jagalchi market and is the biggest fish market in Korea. While there is a large, indoor market area, I found this rather tame in comparison to the outdoor market that lines the street along the harbor. It's exciting to watch the ajummas selling any ocean creature imaginable in any form imaginable right along the sidewalk. 


Restaurants like these were quite popular, especially with the men. I don't think I saw any women eating here. Strangely, though this is mainly a fish market, 감자탕 (pig backbone soup) was one of the most common dishes I saw here. But, that's not to say that there wasn't a plethora of seafood to be eaten here as well.


Shrimp! 


Blowfish! 


I came here around lunch time and I was quite hungry! But, as I'm not a big seafood eater, I wasn't sure what to get. I finally settled on fried fish because a) I knew what it was and b) because nearly anything fried tastes good. 


And I was right. 7,000 won later, I got my meal. I was satisfied and felt that I ate something that represented the market well. 


My fried fish! 


If you're able to catch one of the few openings out onto the docks, you can catch a view of all the fishing boats that line the port. 




Finally, here is a view from inside the indoor Jagalchi market. Mostly quite tame and a rather different feel than the outdoor market. The most exciting moment in here for me was when some rambunctious squid jumped out of their tank and nearly onto my feet.

To get to Jagalchi market, take line 1 to Jagalchi Station. Take exit 10 and take the first right and as you walk you'll start to see the market. You can also take any other exit on the east side of the station and just walk towards the waterfront. Near Jagalchi market, there are various other markets if you wonder around long enough. If you have the time, make sure you check out all the back alleys around the area!

No comments:

Post a Comment