Thursday, February 10, 2011

Birds, Flowers and Sushi (Day 2 in Kobe)


We woke up rather leisurely on my last full day in Japan. As it was New Year's Eve, there wasn't a whole lot we could do for the day. Nori managed to find the one thing that was open, and that was the Bird and Flower Park. Basically, a greenhouse full of flowers and ponds with lily pads with an area to see tropical birds up close. Personally, I hate to see these creatures living in such conditions... people gawking at them, feeding them... many of them not flying  around, saying to me they must have their wings clipped. But, at the same time, it's also a rare experience to see these creatures up close and personal (sometimes too close and personal)


I had some fun taking photos in the flower garden.... 



Penguins! 


I love the colors on these ducks!! 


Then it was on to a dinner of sushi. I made a point to get one more taste of sushi since I'm guessing this could be my last trip to Japan (I've been 3 times now). We wondered around and found a decent looking place which turned out to be much better and nicer and cheaper than I expected. 


Nori sure does know how to order food. He went all out, ordering salad, tempura.... 


Sashimi....


And finally the sushi.... and even after we ate all that, he ordered more fried fish and fried potatoes.. I think I didn't walk out but more like rolled out of the restaurant. And amazingly, all this food, plus a little sake to drink came to about 10,000 yen. Yes, it's expencive, but we ordered a lot of food in a nice ambiance and great service from waitresses in kimonos. The more he ordered the more I imagined the bill racking up. But, anyway, you only live once, right?

2 comments:

  1. hello i just stumbled across your blog today! I just wanted to say that i really like the beautiful duck photo I have never seen one like that before.

    It sounds like you had a great time in Japan I have always wanted to go there... Maybe someday haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed my blog. I hope you come back and visit often!

    And I have seen that duck before, but never in the wild, only in photos and places like this one. I wish I knew where they lived!

    ReplyDelete