Wednesday, July 25, 2012

You've never seen photos of North Korea quite like these....

A water park in Pyongyang?

I read a lot about North Korea. The country fascinates me because it may be the least globalized civilization on Earth. But, as you read stories from escapees, mixed in with the horror stories of the gulags and the food shortages, you do get a sense that people aren't completely clueless as to what's going on in the rest of the world. You also get the feeling that, while there may be no rice to eat, they aren't all quite as deprived as we imagine. For example, black market DVDs of Chinese and South Korean movies and dramas are supposed to be widespread, suggesting that people must have TVs and DVD players to watch them as well. And, of course, we hear of the disparity between life in Pyongyang vs the rest of the country, Pyongyang being a model city of modernity and success while the rest of the country is destitute. I stumbled across these photos from The Bobster's facebook, but they are the most real photos I have ever seen from the North. Take some time and look through them and you may really get a better sense for what life is like over the illusive border. I'll place a few photos here, taken from Buisness Insider to pique your interest because they really are worth seeing, but be sure to go to the actual websites at the end of this post to see the whole collection.


Just like Seoul... but different. 


Traffic in Hamhung...


True Korean innovation: Wood burning vehicles...


These photos were taken by Stephanie T. Kleine-Ahlbrandt, the China and North East Asia Project Director of the International Crisis Group (ICG). Please check the following links to see more amazing photos of the real Hermit Kingdom.

3 comments:

  1. amazing pictures, thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who took a Trip to NK... he invited me but I was unable to travel at the moment...hopefully one day I'll do it.
    He is very into "extreme-tourism" lol he later visited Chernobyl O_O
    I'll ask him if I can borrow some pics to make a post about it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! I'd love to see his photos!

    ReplyDelete